I had been going to a VCA facility in Ohio for 17 years (they weren't always VCA). They quoted me a price for a dental and extraction for my 17 year old cat in excess of $1000.

I went to another vet a mile away from VCA for a second opinion who quoted me $400 less. When VCA found out I was going elsewhere they actually told me that they can price match on services for "established" clients and came in under the new vet's price. I thought that was a little unethical. Plus, I shouldn't have to take my pets around to price shop, incurring more expense to have a new vet see them.

Just give me the fairest price up front. I take three pets there and have never been told they price match (after 17 years they just decide to tell me this now???)

I was given the regional manager's e-mail address so I could write to her and explain my feelings on this issue...I wrote, but she never responded back.

So much for client care/concerns....especially since I had spent in excess of 10K there in two years!

And did I mention the difference in price for routine vaccinations and HW pills and tests? New vet is $800 a year cheaper for two pets and $12/case cheaper on cat food that's special order!

Comments

The DVM's work on commisson, so they bill the heck out of you.

I wrote the above commentary about being a VCA customer for over 17 years. I also wanted to add that I did e-mail their corporate regional manager with my issues and concerns.

To date, I have NEVER gotten a response from them. Apparently they can't take the time to call, e-mail, write, whatever, a client who has spent at least 10K at their facility in the past two years alone. That right there tells me a lot about the way they view their clients. Apparently they think in today's economy that it's easier to get a new client than to keep the existing one.

I found a great vet hospital a few miles away that's done a phenomenal job for hundreds of dollars less. And they didn't charge me *** $35 *** for a blood pressure check on my cat!!!

great job in putting out the facts so we are consumers are aware and can take care of our pets accordingly. There are too many good hearted struggling vets out there that are honest and work hard to make a dime that would appreciate our busiess -- rather than have "big business" with huge marketing budgets gooble up business - that are not deserving.

I use VCA in another state and yes, they are expensive and their prices go up often. I get a senior discount and when I had two dogs got another discount. I also get a prescription for the meds since I can get just about anything online cheaper.Meds from not in this country which are very inexpensive compared to VCA and pharmacies,