A pre-op biopsy was never performed on the two growths on my dog's body.

Post-op pathology reported the growths were completely benign. This fact could have been determined without surgery. VCA has caused my dog unnecessary pain and suffering, has caused me emotional anxiety, and cost me a surgical and medical bill past $1,500. Additionally, when sutures were removed 2 weeks post-op, I was informed my dog was "healing well". My dog subsequently chewed open a section of the wound, requiring further veterinary attention, at an additional cost of $328. Also, my dog will always have a permanent disability in one leg as a result of the totally unnecessary surgery. It is not known at this time how the disability and surgery aftereffects will affect my dog in the future. When queried as to why a pre-op biopsy was not performed when in the office to have the surgery repair performed, the veterinarian on duty replied, "sometimes we don't".

Since the surgery was unnecessary, which could have been determined by a pre-op biopsy lab test, I feel VCA was deliberately trying to make a commission on this case by going ahead without a pre-op biopsy. My dog would not have required a second visit for surgical repair if a pre-op biopsy had been performed, and I said that to the veterinarian on duty.

There was no response from the veterinarian; the lack of comment "told " me all I need to know.

I feel VCA owes me restitution in this case, adjustment of the fees is definitely in order. There is totally substantiated evidence from the pathology lab that the growths were benign. VCA cannot dispute the facts.

Comments

first off, preop biopsies can and do often add hundreds to the final bill. Many times they are avoided for that reason. Most people don't want to risk paying for the anesthesia and biopsy and then for an additional anesthesia and surgical removal. I can understand how you feel though.

Secondly, just because something is benign does not mean it can't grow and become a problem. They may have needed to be removed in the future anywy.

Lastly, it is no ones fault that your dog chewed himself. things like that happen. I understand that this can be frustrating, but I really do think there is a more honest explanation for this than this was a conspiracy to steal your money. Hopefully, the doctor will sit down with you and discuss this with you and you can come to a fair agreement/

to dave Cold Spring, New York, United States #780472

Dave, 2 issues with your statement, first, your comment on the growth probably having to be removed. that is not the case, growths are very complex and many issues should be taken into consideration.

If they are benign, and the health of the animal is less than stellar then surgery is not recommended.

Secondly, sure something can be done to prevent the animal from chewing at sutures, ever hear of an "e collar" whenever any of my companions have had a surgical procedure, they have either left the vets office in one or the vet tells me to get one! Stop making excuses for these VCA butchers!