I brought my 10 week old puppy into a VCA clinic on Elliot Road on Chandler, AZ last Wednesday. I had gotten her from a shelter that was having a parvo outbreak. She had all the signs of parvo. The doctor said she wanted to do a parvo test and it would cost $80. I asked her if the test came back negative or positive, if she would still treat the puppies symtoms the same way, and she said yes.

So I opted not to get the parvo test because I already knew it was positive. She gave the puppy a antibiodic shot and an anti barf shot. She also gave me a bag of iv fluids and told me to inject the fluid under her skin on her back every 4 hours and she sent me on my way after charging me about $200.

What she didn't suggest we do is blood work on the puppy. Had we done that we would have learned that the puppies protein levels were so low that she was about to bleed to death and the sub q treatment would not do a thing to hydrate her in that condition. My puppy died in my arms on friday morning.

If a blood test would have been done, we could have treated the low protein levels with a plasma transfusion, and she may have lived.

I found all this out when her brother fell ill the day she died, and I took him to a vet that knew what he was doing. So far her brother remains alive, and it looks like he is going to make it.

Comments

YES EVERYONE THAT HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH VCA FILE A REPORT WITH THE BBB. I HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE TOO AND AS A RESULT THE FACILITY NOW HAS A C- rating.

WE CAN'T HELP OUR LOVED ONES AFTER GONE BUT AT LEAST THIS HELPS TO WARN OTHERS TO STAY AWAY! :sigh

So sad for your loss. Had the horror of bringing my medically well cared for pet, where he was known, to a Norwalk VCA, where he declined rapidly due to inexpetienced 6 month staff handling most of his thousands of dollars of 9 day ICU care, for a non-fatal condition @ intake.

Complete medical records provided were not thoroughly reviewed resulting in medication errors. Lack of pro-active diagnosis/ treatment as well as an extreme lack of clinical judgement/expertise led to his demise despite his brave & heroic efforts to survive. Arrogant

attitudes of inexperienced staff caused knowledgeable & medically responsible parents to be kept as far away from treatment protocol & the facility as much as possible until hysterical calls are made to them about the next "atypical & unexpected" crisis. Can only strongly recommend Cornell Veterinary Affiliates in Stamford, CT instead.

They were not in existance to save my brave pet but can hopefully save others who require true 24 hour emergency & specialty care. My sincerest condolences as I, too, continue to work on addressing this devastating experience.

I am sorry for your loss & can only say that I am still defining aneffective way to deal with the shock of what I witnessed in the medic treatment horror that my bravest dog endured in his 9 day ICU expdriencey

my pet's fatal 9 jexperience@a Norwalk, CT VCA for a non-fatal condition & where he was known/previously treated by specialists for a different chronic condition. Amongst the horror I witnessed with several 6 month graduates running the ER & ICU alone PM's & entire weekends, lack of consult with those who knew his med history best, failure to proactively diagnose & treat resulting in 2 emergency surgeries after my refusal to leavethe facility.

My fee wascapped @ several thousands of dollarsby a medical director who never acknowledged me or the fact that he wasin charge of my pet'scare.

Still dealing with this process so can only strongly recommend Cornell Veterinary Affilliates in Stamford, CT. This facility sadly opened after my full time therapy pet's death, but willlikely save others from a similar fate.

I was thinking that all of you using this one Vet clinic should report them to the Better Business Bureau. The animals cannot speak so it would be great if you could be their voice....

Best wishes and God bless you all

:sigh Im so sorry about your puppy. Can you call the other Vet back and explain to them what the new Vet did?

At least you should be able to get your money back and maybe that will help with costs for her brother. Oh how very sad. So sorry to hear this. I pray the outcome is good for her little brother.

You have a kind heart to rescue from a shelter. God bless you.

OMG!!!! The same exact thing happened to me in Cheshire CT except they kept the puppy hospitalized and after releasing him 5 days later still didn't do blood work.

We rushed him back to the hospital just a few hours later to do the blood work and were shocked at the results.

My poor puppy's blood count was almost zero. Sadly, he didn't make it.