I took my 7 yr old chow/husky mix to the VCA clinic in Texas City, TX because she wasn't eating properly.After some blood work they determined her problem was arthritis.

All her blood counts were great, her organs were functioning properly, in all respects she was in good health. An injection of previcox was given to her and she was sent home with a prescription of the same medicine. She ate fine for a couple of days and then started not eating again. I contacted the VCA clinic and they wanted me to bring her in again.

I was not able to make it in before they closed. Since my dog was not eating I took her to a VCA Emergency Clinic in League City, TX. I showed the doctor the blood work that was done and provided the name of the medicine given to her. He then injected her with Rimadyl and also sent her home with a prescription.

By the next morning my dog was very lethargic. She was only drinking water. Saturday morning we again took her to the original VCA clinic. They determined she was bleeding internally, all her blood levels had dropped to half of what they were the week before.

The recommended we hospitalize her. She was then taken back to the League City Emergency facility. She was put on IV fluids, given carafate, misoprostol, imodine and pantaestrol (not sure about spelling). This did not help her so she ended up having a blood transfusion that evening.

The following morning I had to pick her up because this facility is not open during the day. I transported her to another doctor who is not affiliated with VCA. They immediately put her back on fluids and checked her blood. The transfusion seemed to have helped.

Unfortunately that evening the bleeding returned, she was showing signs of jaundice in her gums & eyes. The following day her condition turned even worse. She started vomitting and there was nothing more that could be done for her. The decision by our family was made to put her down so that she would no longer suffer.

Beauty, our loving dog was the last thing we had left that belonged to my dad. He was given this dog as a baby. Beauty was his love. When he passed away four years ago, she was depressed for several weeks.

We finally got her past that.

Now she is gone too.I will never take my dogs to another VCA clinic and recommend you do not either.

Comments