Took my cocker spaniel to VCA for follow up for a fall after going to the emergency room.When we met the vet, we told her about hair loss that we noticed, so the vet prescribed meds for a yeast infection.

After a month of follow ups and more $$$ spent, we happened to go back, and was able to see a fill in vet she said that we should go to the hospital.

We would be able to get more help, since our questions weren't being answered.Come to find out - the so called yeast infection- was in fact lymphoma, what the ****.

Had an Experience with Vca Animal Hospital?

Comments

tmshep

Again thank you for your comments.Since my posting - my cocker has passed away.

It's been a sudden and tough fight with the lymphoma. Within a month of final diagnosis, she passed within a month. We believe that if she had proper treatment up front, that we may have had her with us longer. As it was the vet gave her her annual shots when she was sick - that should have never happened.

That caused pancreatitis.We won't be going back to VCA in future.

totally agree with Retired Vet!

Thank you for comment, I would have felt better if the vet had gone along with my gut, since I had another cocker pass with different form of cancer - They didn't offer a biopsy as a plan of action, nor offered to take additional blood work. I know everyone is human, but we're the ones that have to make the right choices for our loved pets.

Canine lymphoma of the skin is so uncommon that most veterinarians have never seen a case.Skin infections and allergies make up the vast majority of hairloss cases.

It is quite likely that your cocker did have a skin infection that did not respond because of the underlying lymphoma. Lymphoma of the skin can only be diagnosed with a biopsy. I'm sure that if the doctor who originally saw your pet had requested a skin biopsy on the first visit to determine the cause of hairloss you might have felt that was overzealous and rightfully so.

Hey look, it would be great if we could all be right every time but we're human and when we see a cocker spaniel with hairloss we all try to rule out the very common maladies that cockers suffer from.Your doctor nor VCA should be maligned here, cutaneous lymphoma is extremely rare and impossible to diagnose without a skin biopsy.